EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!.
Game Maker to Put Product on Big Screen - New York Times
Key quotes:
"Blizzard and Legendary appeared united in wanting the project to be a major departure from Hollywood's undistinguished record in turning games into films."
"For many years, films based on comic books and traditional high-fantasy worlds suffered the same fate. Yet recently, directors and screenwriters ranging from Peter Jackson with "The Lord of the Rings" to Sam Raimi with "Spider-Man" have come to appreciate that in even the most fantastic setting, a successful film is based on compelling human stories rather than on yet another explosion or dragon.
I've seen this point elsewhere. I don't remember who it was (probably Tycho from Penny Arcade or the Resident Cynic from Gamespy), but I read quite some time ago about the need for the "Spider-Man" of video game movies; the movie based on a video game that focuses on quality of characters and story over special effects.
"Legendary's first film, 'Batman Begins,' directed by Christopher Nolan, was released last year to mostly favorable reviews. Other Legendary projects include the coming 'Superman Returns' and M. Night Shyamalan's 'Lady in the Water.'
Very, very promising. I don't know much about the latest Superman movie, except it's directed by Bryan Singer (X-Men) and the trailer looks good.
Oh, and in case you're like me and don't believe anything you read in the NY Times, it's official.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO gonna try to get in on this! And being there, hopefully it won't be too hard.
ReplyDeleteI'd either like to be an extra (I already proved I can withstand hours and hours of being in full body makeup), or the person in charge of continuity. With my obsessive compulsive attentiveness to detail, yeah, I think I'd do a good job. ^_^
~RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl-*shifty eyes*...~