Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pop Quiz!

And you thought you were safe on the weekend. Diagram the following sentences:
  1. Dave likes chocolate.
  2. The horse raced past the barn fell.
  3. So I was like walking down the street like and this car like TOTALLY almost ran over this cat like but it was like ok lol.
  4. The Dutch government has said it fears the same kind of backlash as over the cartoons when a right-wing lawmaker releases a film critical of the Koran, which he says he will do this month online after cinemas refused to show it.

A double imaginary-bag-o-marshmallows to whomever gets them all correct first!

4 comments:

  1. Dave likes chocolate.

    The horse raced past the barn fell.

    So, like, lol.
    (I left out the grammatically incorrect sections of this sentence.

    Peaceful religion.
    I couldn't find any references on how to diagram comparisons such as "such as", so I had to wing it on the phrase "the same kind of backlash as over the cartoons."

    This website is a useful resource for diagramming rules.

    All images created with Paint.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe wins. Although he could have inferred from context that "like" was an adverb, it was not used correctly, so no points off there. He did, however, miss the interjection "lol". Perhaps it could be an adverbial phrase modifying "walking"? Whatever, I doubt anyone else will try. I read the last sentence in an AP or Reuters article and it took me a couple scans to figure out what they were saying.

    The proof-readers are sleeping on the job over at the AP. Every article I've read for the last month or so has had glaring typos in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proof readers? They all went to public school, where grammar is no longer taught.

    ReplyDelete