Or Martin Gardener's wonderful sentence: "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"
Or as Damien said to me last night, "Daddy, what did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to out of up for?"
Don't you just love making English an impediment to communication?
Let's not forget "James, while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher."
ReplyDeleteOr Martin Gardener's wonderful sentence: "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"
Or as Damien said to me last night, "Daddy, what did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to out of up for?"
Don't you just love making English an impediment to communication?
See, all those grammar exercises I made you do were worth it -- especially the diagramming!
ReplyDelete