Thursday, August 23, 2012

What Have We Forgotten?

Because I'm on a stats kick, it seems.

Inspired by XKCD 1093: "When will we forget"

Percent of Americans who aren’t old enough to remember
Event
10%
Last year
11%
Trying to say “Eyjafjallajökull”
12%
Michael Jackson
14%
The Bush Presidency
15%
The first iPhone
16%
The planet Pluto
18%
Bl. John Paul the Great
19%
The Superbowl wardrobe malfunction
20%
A time before Facebook
22%
The Beltway Sniper
23%
9/11
24%
Y2K
26%
Star Wars Episode I release
27%
A time before Google
29%
Bl. Teresa of Calcutta
30%
Nintendo 64 launch
31%
Calvin & Hobbes
33%
The white Ford Bronco
34%
The Bush Presidency
36%
Czechoslovakia
37%
The Gulf War
38%
The Soviet Union
40%
The Simpsons first season
41%
World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers
43%
Danny Kaye, Fred Astaire, Jackie Gleason and Rita Hayworth
44%
Chernobyl
45%
Challenger
46%
1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games
48%
Ma Bell
49%
“E.T phone home”
50%
Iran Hostage Crisis
52%
A time before Pac-Man
53%
Jimmy Carter attacked by swamp rabbit
54%
Stayin’ Alive
56%
Star Wars release
57%
The Bicentennial
58%
The Vietnam War
60%
A time before UPC symbols
61%
Roe v. Wade
63%
Nixon in China
64%
Cigarette ads on TV or radio
66%
The Beatles
67%
“That’s one small step for [a] man....”
69%
Humanae Vitae
70%
The first Super Bowl
72%
The Index Librorum Prohibitorum
73%
Vatican II
74%
The first Ford Mustang
76%
John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis, and Aldous Huxley
77%
The Cuban Missile Crisis
78%
A time before manned space exploration
80%
The first televised presidential debate
81%
Pre-Castro Cuba
82%
The Brooklyn Dodgers
83%
The beginning of the space age
84%
A time before transatlantic telephone conversations
85%
Not having a vaccination for polio
86%
Brown v. Board of Education
87%
When TV was black and white only
88%
A time when the Commonwealth of Nations was not ruled by Queen Elizabeth II
89%
Having to tell a telephone operator who you wanted to call
90%
A new Marx Brothers film
90%
The first commercial jetliner
91%
Babe Ruth
92%
Jackie Robinson’s rookie season
92%
The first general-purpose electronic computer
93%
WWII and everything that goes with it
93%
D-Day
94%
Nikola Tesla
94%
The first man-made self-sustaining nuclear reaction
95%
Pearl Harbor
95%
A time before McDonald’s
96%
Batman’s first appearance in comics
96%
Welles’ War of the Worlds
97%
Amelia Earhart
97%
Maiden voyage of RMS Queen Mary
97%
The invention of nylon
98%
Gustav Holst and Edward Elgar
98%
The New Deal
99%
The Hoover Presidency
>99%
Black Friday
>99%
The Ottoman Empire
>99%
Armistice Day

(Source: US Census Bureau)

Note on statistical methods: I couldn't find data for US population by single year of age more recently than 2009, so, in a move that will likely cause statisticians everywhere to hang themselves in despair, I just bumped the years up by three in that data, and pretended it started at 2012 instead of 2009. Observant individuals will note this means that my "percent of Americans who are X years old" will therefore be wrong. However, I looked through the data, and no age bracket is more than 0.33% larger or smaller a percent of Americans than the bracket three years their junior and if you understand that sentence kudos to you, because I barely understand what I'm talking about. The gist is that I rounded to a whole percentage point because that way the percentages should still be accurate.

5 comments:

  1. Heh. I was just thinking about the Beltway sniper the other day.
    Wait, what? Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore?? When did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Eastern Europe, 9 years after the break up of Czechoslovakia, I had to make a very conscious effort to not call it that.

    "Where are you going this weekend?"
    "Oh, Czecho-- Republic."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be more accurate to say that >99% of the population can't remember Armistice Day. Unless you saying that anyone over 100 can't remember what happened when he was young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The actual value from my spreadsheet is 99.98%, but since I rounded off to whole digits due to my questionable statistical methods, it shows up as 100%.

    ReplyDelete