Well, I was planning on talking about design philosophy this week, and was going to explain what's different about Chess Pirate Mercenaries 2D of Battle, but I got sidetracked. There's a simple truth when it comes to form design (and cosmetic programming in general):
The amount of time needed to perfect a form increases exponentially as the form nears perfection.
Basically, there's this weird vortex where, as you put more time into perfecting the design, it takes even more time to perfect than it did before. So if the form is sorta OK, then it'll take a little bit longer to make it perfect. But if the form is great, then it'll take even more time to perfect it. Weird, huh?
I have made progress on the game mechanic design, but ended up devoting more time to making it pretty. So now we have this:
![]() |
| Oo! Aah! Textures! |
You can even change the colors!
![]() |
| Try to contain yourselves! |
And by "you" I mean "you", since I've implemented the ability for the user to change the cosmetic settings.
![]() |
| I blurred out some of the options because I don't want to give away the design here until I can write about it in more detail. |
At some point in the future, you may even be able to play chess!




No comments:
Post a Comment