I Need Naught but to Partake of Thine Magick Fire
Tidings to you, fair reeve of this place, from whence metal beasts take unto the skies, and within them convey those souls who seek to sojourn to strange lands and alien provinces. I greet you with the esteem and homage that is requisite one that surrender's his life to safeguarding those who, without thine help, would be hapless victims of the doom appointed them by evil men.
"What am I doing?" ask ye? Verily, I simply partake of the magick fire that flows forth from the aperture embedded upon this parapet, on which I rest mine weary back. Truthfully I tell thee that mine arithmetic counting machine, that zenith of new-fangled scientific learning, is nigh to the darkened death that befalls such contraptions, when sundered from a spring of magick fire for a dog's age.
"That is not allowed?" say ye? I must query the nature of such a law, for it is not born from God. I tell you, the worth of such magick fire as is consumed by mine machine of electronic wizardry is but a tuppence! It is of inconsequential cost to the denizens and taxpayers of this fair shire, in which I am forced to tarry until such time as the metal beast within which I shall be born yonder is prepared for the great odyssey of a thousand thousand paces to land of mine abode.
I only ask that I might but partake of thine magick fire for the time that I am forced to linger in this place. It seems an eternity has transpired, and were it not for mine machine of bewitchment with which I might be beguiled and enthralled, I would be compelled to madness by the tedium and stagnation.
But what of the lanterns that burn brightly in the rooftop through the bright of day and dark of night, providing those that dwell herein with guiding light, such that we do not stumble and falter as we would in the dark and disarray? Surely the worth of the magick fire put forth by said lamps is not inconsequential? Must I also surrender my ducats for the benefits bestowed by them? Then tell me, why prohibit me from partaking of the magick fire for other purposes?
Fie, I say! A pox on thee and thy kin! No more shall I travel to this shire, or allow mine earnings to profit those who would put forth a law not discernable through rationale, and not equitable by the laws of God or man.
Huh? Sounds like you stole it from Poul Andersen, except it's better.
ReplyDeleteHow lame. Did you offer the guy tuppence to compensate? I wonder what he would have said if you had spoken to him like that... have you been reading "High Crusade" lately?
ReplyDelete...as the home schooling parents weep with final despair over their child's spelling accomplishments...
ReplyDelete- Queen Medm
Sorry, but "Magick" was never one of my spelling words, and I don't think I ever came across it in Wordly Wise.
ReplyDeleteFunny how all my spelling books were copyrighted after the year 1800.
Truthfully, this didn't actually happen to me. I came up with the idea while looking for a power outlet in the Seattle airport, but thought better of using one of the few I found after reading this.
ReplyDelete