Friday, February 22, 2008

Eclipse Pictures

Fortunately, the weather here was perfectly clear. Unfortunately, it was 10 degrees, so I just ran out every 45 minutes or so, snapped a bunch of pictures, and ran back in. I don't remember the last time I got such a good view of a lunar eclipse. I took these from the street outside my fiancee's apartment. Sorry for the generally low quality - I was missing part of my tripod so these are all hand-held.

The very start of the eclipse:
















Halfway to totality, the curve of the Earth's shadow is easy to see, along with with the coloration of the light deflected through the atmosphere:















During totality. No tripod = ISO 800 = grainy. The Moon was very dark at this point.















Totality with Saturn to the lower left and Regulus above:




















Post-totality.

















The pictures don't really capture how beautiful it was to watch. Sorry you missed it Joe, there's always 2010. I'm sure you can find plenty of good pictures of it on the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment