Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gravity Simulator Update























More pretty colors to look at!

The new version includes several new features, and still no help file or settings dialog!  Get it here.

6 comments:

  1. If I admit that I still don't know what this is, will I be kicked out of the family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet there is no help file to save you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck of a way to waste time. It's fun watching my computer go to its knees...
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the undocumented wire frame feature.

    It only makes my computer genuflect without fully being on it's knees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally got around to downloading it. I like watching planets get torn apart. What determines when a planet will get ripped? Is it simply when the gravitational attraction of another object at the surface is greater than the attraction of the planet itself? Or is there a gravity field differential that's calculated at opposite sides of the planet and when that is sufficiently high, the planet is ripped? If the latter, then it would be cool if there was an option to adjust the cohesiveness of planets so they could be torn apart more or less easily.

    But it makes for a very good demonstration of the Roche limit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, don't get me started about the Roche Limit. Wikipedia's articles about the tidal force never explain why integration across radius is used rather than vector addition on opposite sides of the satellite. I know what the math does, and how, but couldn't figure out why. I need an advanced orbital mechanics course. My program basically compares the gravity towards the planet to the gravity towards the satellite at the point on the surface of the satellite nearest to the planet.

    Note that the Roche Limit applies to a satellite, not the planet itself, thus the Roche limit affecting Saturn's (and other planets') rings actually refers to the largest bodies in those rings. Of course, my planet assumes perfect rigidity and uniform density. Plans for a future version include an elemental model, which would yield things like varying density, solar lifecycles, and possibly atmospheres.

    ReplyDelete