Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Poincaré Solved.

Sorry if that's old news to anyone. The new news is this:
Highest Honor in Mathematics Is Refused - New York Times


Dr. Grigory Perelman

Maybe he couldn't accept the award because he could not, heh heh, add to the number of prize winners! Hehe! Haha! HaHAHAHA! MUHAHAHAHA! HAHAHA! AHAHAHAHA!

(Sorry, Half-Life 2 joke.)

17 comments:

  1. Just in case you don't see this post on the Methinks "Our Universe" needs to be updated article...

    Did some testing on it and Microsoft handles (A) tags just fine there. It tries to parse out the "?" with the (/A) tag causing it to get confused somehow. A problem probably lies in the style classes causing all hyperlinks to automatically drop a line. Consider re-phrasing like

    (li)You know you've been playing too much WoW when the lector says "A reading from the Book of Kings" and you think "Don't Paladins learn (a href="http://thottbot.com/?sp=25898")Greater Blessing of Kings(/a) from that?".

    And, no, I will not use a different browser as long as IE is still the best integrated into the OS allowing me to seemlessly browse between directories, FTP (much better than Mozilla can), and WWW. When Mozilla is up to par on all that crap, I'll change over. Until then IE 7 does everything Mozilla does... and better... except for ?s following (/A)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Tom, once again your stubborn laziness may pay off eventually. It turns out IE can be forced into standards-compliant mode with the !DOCTYPE tag. The problem with this is that not all web sites use this tag. The OBVIOUS solution is to use a browser that by default is more W3C HTML compliant, like Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note, however, that you're still WRONG and I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IE absolutely does not handle the tage properly. 1) it always changes the line spacing from single to 1.5 whenever I have a hyperlink. 2) it always puts a line break after the hyperlink, so the following text is always on the next line, even if intended to be on the same line.

    I can't think of a single thing that I use Firefox for that IE does half as well at. And once you install the IE Tab extension for Firefox, there's really no reason to use IE ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and bonus points to Tom for following FU-News Posting Rule #10 by thread hijacking and starting a browser war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. You've convinced me. Don't dare write your web site to accomodate the browser used by 80% of all internet surfers. Write it only to conform to agreed upon standards... that 80% of web surfers don't care about.

    After all firefox is the superior browser since it conforms to all W3C standards (it feels like conforming to). In fact, I'm so convinced, I just downloaded it (again) to confirm what I knew about it. Well it does an awesome job displaying FU News.

    Now to go to my compnay FTP to upload a file... Um.. no upload? Maybe I need to login... No, that's not an option. Well I guess I'll have to download a FTP browser to upload and login to accounts.

    Never mind, lets just go back to what I was doing to my D: drive directory trees. I'll just type it into the address bar here and...Uh, I can't seem to modify these files... Um, I guess I better close this and load up Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer cause that might not conform to obscure W3C standards that I use in my directory tree).

    What did I need firefox for again? Oh yeah, better security. Let me just run Adaware and spybot for the first time since I got back from Iraq (no I do not use the spybot browser plugin). Wow, 21 evil cookies, Spybot? And 2 evil registry keys, Adaware? This AVG antivirus must be broken because it hasn't fond a virus since Iraq. Thank goodness I have Firefox to protect against all cookies.

    I'm convinced. Well I'm off to delete my AIM account and only talk to people using ICQ b/c ICQ is the better chat program. So I guess all my friends will have to conform to my tastes or never talk to me again.

    PS. If you got the IE Tab, why not preview your site with it and make your site look good under it (regardless of standards)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My (A) tags wored just fine in the above post. What hapens if I do this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't get me wrong (cause I know you are), I like standards. I like my C++ programs to compile under GCC compiler and I like to make cross platform compatible software (that's why I use SDL and OpenGL). But if I need to compile something:

    rule #1: it better work in Windows (not b/c I like it, but b/c it's the majority OS)

    rule #2: I should not have to re-write something for a smaller audience ==> I will perform a minimal amount of coding to accomdate them, but if it comes down to a structural change for performance, the minority will take the performace hit

    rule #3: write all code on a single line, with single character variable names, defines of defines, and no comments like this masterpiece

    rule #4: never give up an argument. Just dominate the blog with your comments, until people start to belive that it is in fact your blog and not somebody elses. This will in turn make them ask "Well why doesn't he just change his own page to be viewable on IE if he's so adamant about it?"

    rule #5: I hate my keyboard.

    rule #6: GO TO ****ING BED! IT'S 3:12 IN THE ****ING MORNING! --the wife

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did I mention that IE has a component you can drop right into your Visual Studio project? Make your own browser so to speak. Neat. Handy. Saves me a lot of time. Don't know if there is one for Firefox. Don't care. This one's already on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo. I see you changed the code to for us misguided folks. Thanks!

    PS. Don't tell my wife. She thinks I'm asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok couple clarifications. I don't code the site to look correct in a particular browser. I don't know HTML that well. I just code the site the only way I know how. And Firefox just happens to display it properly. When it was broken in IE, I didn't fix it for several days because I didn't know how to fix it because I didn't know what was wrong. I just wrote the HTML as I always do. Firefox made it look good and IE made it look like crap.

    It wasn't until Tom suggested that IE might be trying to parse out the question mark that I started fiddling with it and, by luck, moving the question mark inside the <a> tag just happened to fix the problem. But really, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to have a question mark immediately following a hyperlink. Seems arbitrary.

    Secondly, I do occassionally preview the site in IE just to see how it works, but again, if it's broken, there's not bloody much I can do.

    Thirdly, look at my original complaint about <a> tags. I said IE doesn't display them properly in the sidebar. It displays them just fine in posts and comments, but if you try to combine them with the <li> tag that blogger uses for the sidebar bad things happen. You may notice that it still is not displaying properly in IE. The final quotation mark is on a seperate line from the rest of the quote; the line spacing changes for the one line with the hyperlink; all the comic strip links are broken onto a seperate line from the comment about it. Again, I didn't make it this way so it would look good in Firefox. It looks that way because I just don't know how to fix it.

    And as far as exerting minimal effort, I'm not very inclined to fix it. I'm just going to code in the simplest way possible. If it's not displaying properly in your crappy browser, I'm not going to exert a whole lot of effort to figure out what arbitrary rules your browser enforces such as why it insists a question mark can't follow a hyperlink in the sidebar.

    Now, back to, heh heh, Father Grigori, haha HAHA! MUAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grab the phone.

    IE is hot and you want it.

    Using Firefox was never as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How strange. I suddenly have this subconcious desire to use IE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, so never mind that whenever you want, you can switch to using IE within Firefox for obscure things that 80% of web users never do like uploading to ftp, another key difference between Firefox and IE is this quaint thing called add-ons. So, if you weren't too lazy, you could just download one of the ftp add-ons for Firefox, like CrossFTP or FireFTP.

    Another thing you could do if you weren't Bill Gates' poster child is download one of the add-ons that allows you to browse your own computer like IE, such as Firefly (which is also cool because it has the same name as the coolest TV show of all time).

    Oh, and the reason you aren't finding any spyware or adware on your computer is because Bill Gates is getting kickbacks from the identity thieves to mask detection of the spyware from programs like Spybot, which he owns anyways along with the Queen, the Vatican, the Rothschilds, Colonel Sanders, the Illuminati and the Trilateral Commission. DON'T LET THEM! DOWN WITH THE MUNICIPALITY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ARGH!!!! Micro$ux has stabbed me in the back! Oi, All the defending I've done! They took the file and FTP browsing out of IE7!! I am forced to move to Firefox and get those plugins Joe linked to... bast***s.

    ReplyDelete