Friday, March 16, 2007


A Question of Physics (I Think)

Ok, I am not a physics professor, so I have a question for the FU News crowd who might know something about the matter. Tom and I were having a discussion about morality, beginning with the premise that speeding is "more" immoral than modifying the Boggle ini file so that I can continue to play it on the computer for free. This discussion rapidly progressed to geekier topics, ranging from how much we personally drive over/above the speed limit all the way to the question I would like to pose.

Here it is:

Does a car going 90 mph that hits a stationary car have the same effect as two cars going 45mph that hit each other? By "effect," I mean in regard to the people involved and in regard to vehicular damage. Assume that all drivers are wearing seat belts and have standard air bags. Tom posits that the effect would be the same, but to my convoluted mind, I think that adding the speed of the two moving cars to get 90 and saying they would have the same effect as the single car going 90 is too simplistic.

So which is worse: Hitting a stationary object at 90mph, or hitting an oncoming car with both cars going 45mph? Or is there absolutely no difference?

6 comments:

  1. As the only certified California Traffic Accident Investigator that trolls this blog, I have an opinion on this matter.

    However, due to a heavy workload, I don't have time to explain.

    ~The Blue Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to point out that contrary to popular old wives tales about human strength and car accidents, you can actually survive a 45 to 0 instant crash without a seat belt. I was in the back right seat of a humvee that went from 45 to 0 when it slammed into a ditch (nope, we didn't even touch the brakes, and it was head on). I ended up grabbing the back of the front seat and ending up in the lap of the guy in the front seat. So there. That's all I have to add to this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But did the guy in the front seat survive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference in what happens after the initial point of contact varies greatly, depending upon direction of travel and mass of the vehicle. However,the energy at the point of contact (in the instant) is the same.

    No crash is instantaneous, they all happen over time and are typically measured from initial point of impact to final point of rest.

    In general, the vehicle with the most lug nuts "wins". The amount you "lose" varies on how many lug nuts you have and how much you paid for your vehicle. It is possible to have a large number of lug nuts and only have paid $500 and you'll lose less than the other guy who paid more but had fewer lug nuts.

    I general, if you are going to an object "head on" vehicles are much "safer" to hit than other objects that are more permanently attached to the ground, such as: walls, rocks, large trees, etc. These other objects are less likely to "absorb" the impact.

    As for the "morality" of surpassing the speed limit, that is a grey area. In California, the "basic speed law" says you should not travel faster than what is reasonable for the time and conditions. Where the "maximum speed law" says you shall not travel faster than 65mph, unless otherwise posted with a faster speed limit. (so much for "maximum" :P) The "prima facie" speed limit is "posted" as the 80% speed driven on a given road, or 35mph in a business district, or 15mph at a blind intersection, or 25mph in a school zone when children are present.

    Yes, the speed limit is purposefully set lower than what is safe and reasonable.

    These speeds are not determined to establish a moral standard, they are designed to keep the city planning office from getting sued in the event of a vehicle accident.

    Speeding is "immoral" when it is at a speed that is beyond reasonable. 85mph in a residential area with blind, uncontrolled intersections is immoral. 65mph in heavy fog on the freeway is immoral.

    ~the blue fox

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one was really hurt. We were all just bruised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...

    One of the more interesting facts about car crashes.

    Vehicle vs Pedestrian

    Look for the shoes of the pedestrian's shoes. They will either be on the ground "attached" to where the pedestrian was hit or if they were firmly tied you can locate and measure the "skid marks" left by the shoes and calculate a minimum speed required to create the skids.

    If the vehicle was not in a "locked 4 wheel skid" at the time of impact the skids from the shoes can be used to determine the minimum speed of the vehicle. If the determined speed of the vehicle was above the speed limit you can ex post facto cite the driver of the vehicle with a speeding ticket. (This is one of the few ways a an officer can cite a misdemeanor not committed in their presence.)

    Another interesting fact:

    All vehicles equipped with airbags have an EPROM recording a 30 second buffer of vehicle data. When the air bags are deployed the EPROM stops recording. The following information is captured: speed of the vehicle, engine speed, % of throttle applied, and % of brake applied.

    This information is typically only retrieved in fatal accidents where the circumstances of the crash are needed.

    If you get past the whole: injury, suffering, death and dismemberment part about traffic accident investigation it is probably one of the more fun fields of "applied physics" to get into.

    ~TBF

    ReplyDelete