Monday, December 7, 2009

Life

Well, Joe guessed correctly and first that the previously mentioned batch file is an implementation of Conway's Game of Life.














I wrote a slightly better implementation in C#, and it allows more than just 2 states, but it's not very sophisticated:



















While I was writing that version, however, I stumbled across a much more advanced implementation (in the same way that the B-2 is more advanced than a kite), called Golly.




















I highly recommend checking it out, but I should warn you that it might cause you to waste hours if not days staring at the blinkenlights.

2 comments:

  1. I'd been wanting to write a version of Life for a while so I could change the rules and stuff. This just lends further credence to my theory that if I just wait long enough, some one will do everything for me. Which doesn't help my motivation to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you download my version, be aware that it's not exactly user-friendly. The basic way the rules work is that it sums the values of surrounding cells, then applies different actions to ranges of values. The bounds on the defined ranges are inclusive. It defaults to a 10-state rule set but includes buttons to quickly set the traditional Conway B3/S23 rules as well as the Highlife B36/S23. You can edit the rules on the fly.

    ReplyDelete