How to tell when you've written a flexible game:
Yo dawg, I heard you like computers, so I put a computer in your game so you can compute while you game.
When your game's physics engine supports building an ALU. This means that, theoretically, you could write the game within itself.
Learn more about the Minecraft phenomenon here:
Wikipedia.
Penny Arcade: Mine All Mine, Part 1 and Part 2.
Experienced Points: Mine All Minecraft.
Minecraft developer forming his own studio.
Minecraft allows you to set fire to your house.
Other things built in Minecraft:
A rollercoaster;
A giant waterslide;
Doom E1M1;
Notre Dame cathedral;
The Reichstag;
The Empire State Building;
A 1x1 scale model of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D);
The Earth (not full scale, although theoretically the game's engine would allow it);
I haven't actually played the game yet. I'm kind of scared to try it.
Oh, you totally have to try it. I've been obsessing over it for a couple weeks now. I only have the free construction-only ("classic") version, but my cow-orker bought the newer survival-mode game ("Alpha"). He's built an underground farm where he grows crops by torchlight.
ReplyDeleteI build a small-scale Sears Tower (easy), a large underground pyramid which contains a 3-d labyrinth, and numerous other random things. I was just starting work on a cathedral, although mine was much smaller than the one in the video (which I only just now found out about). That one doesn't seem to be to scale - the pews are 2 meters tall (blocks are 1 m^3).
Mostly I just like exploring the massive (and complex) cave systems it generates.