Tuesday, July 1, 2008

10d Things that, if they became public knowledge, could get me kicked out of the Geek club.
So why am I posting them on the intertubes?

10: I have never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
9: I don't much care for tabletop games, such as roleplaying games, TCGs, CCGs, or miniatures games, and have never played D&D.
8: I have never listened to a "podcast".
7: I have never learned or used the following: JavaScript, PHP, Python, CSS.
6: I don't have a dual-boot Linux box.
5: I actually rather like Windows Vista.
4: I can't solve a Rubik's Cube.
3: I have never played a Final Fantasy game.
2: Likewise with Zelda.
1: I love all the Star Wars movies, including the prequels. And I think the Ewoks are cool.

--Update 7/7--
Thought of another one.
0: I have never edited Wikipedia.

22 comments:

  1. I'd like to second numbers 1 and 5.

    2,3,4,6 and 9 also apply to me, but I'm willing to fight over issues 1 and 5.

    You know what else will probably get me kicked out of geek circles? The open source community's philosophy resembles communism and I flat out reject it. Sure, I'll accept their work as a generous gift, but I'll fight tooth and nail to keep what I write for profit.

    And online chat acronyms are lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Joe, I'm going to have to call you out on #9. The original incarnation of Starship Combat was most definitely a tabletop miniatures game. In fact, the rules got so complex you made a computer game out of it. Plus, I do believe you've actually played the Star Wars RPG, which should fill in for D&D for the purposes of geek cred.

    I totally agree with #1, and I think Blade Runner is completely optional. Other than that, down with Vista! All hail Ubuntu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's on now! It's on like Donkey Kong!

    (PS. How was your honeymoon? Terrible? How's married life? Rotten?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To help you with your geek cred, here are some very cool podcasts you can listen to:
    http://sqpn.com/category/books-movies-and-music/secrets-of-harry-potter

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something you may also find very interesting:
    Astronomical Society of Australia publishes new paper warning of solar quieting and global cooling

    The comments are the best part - lots of discussion of the mechanics of the solar system and how it influences solar activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10: check... oh and the "director's cut" was actually better, since it leaves the proper ambiguity

    9: Hero's Quest was a great table top game... it was just like Zelda-- and Diablo.

    8: I own an ipod, but I only listen to earplugs while commuting.... ahhhh.... -32db of solitude!

    7: I did Javascript at Wonderware... then I quickly stopped programming, I'm not really cut out for that kind of stuff; I'd rather just be in charge and have people that program for me.
    6: No linux (anymore, I got bored due to the lack of applications I actually wanted to use)
    5: No vista... (yet)
    4: Me neither... (got bored and moved the stickers)
    3: FF has way too much "game" between the fighting portions.
    2: I can loan you my Nintendo 8-bit with Zelda and "Zelda 2: the Adventure of Link"... I think you'll open your mind to a new/old world of action/adventure gaming
    1: I liked 4-6, but George Lucas can't direct.... or he just forgot how. You don't go 25 years without directing and just "assume" you're great at it. It is like any other skill, it requires practice.

    Oh, but I was very happy with "No Country for Old Men".... wow, a classic "tragedy" in the most classic sense. Awesome.

    -thebluefox

    ReplyDelete
  7. and that is why I shudder when someone mentions air compressor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave:

    Upon further review, I agree. Blade Runner's optional. I'm not sure why I included that to begin with. I have changed #10 to something a little more quintessentially nerdy.

    Also, in regards to SSC, the reason I made the computer version was because the table-top version was too boring and slow. And most of the fun I got out of SSC was in creating the rules, rather than playing.

    And I played the Star Wars RPG once. It most definitely does not count for D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo! I read THGTTG! (That's what we in the in* crowd call it. I read them all actually. Quite good reading.

    I have never read Asimov or even Zahn. At least I don't recall ever reading them. I have a very limited sci-fi literature record. Who am I fooling? I don't read much of anything.

    *in as in "I'm the only one in this crowd."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who hasn't read thgttg? (the real in crowd use lower case acronyms, since they are so common they don't even deserve recognizing them as such, just like modem, laser, radar, and other "common" terms.)

    I can't remember who gave them to me, but the core geek literature that ought to be required reading is "ringworld" and "Rama". While they may not be pinnacle of modern sci-fi literature, they do seem to be a core base for many imitations that followed them.

    I still get a kick out of the title, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", I really need to find a copy of that book and read it at some point.

    -tbf

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I or my parents gave you Ringworld. I haven't read Rama yet.

    I did read all 5 books in the Hitchhiker trilogy, though.

    Every sci-fan should read Asimov's Foundation trilogy (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation), and the Zahn novels are the only truly good Star Wars novels that I've read (some of the others are decent sci-fi but unconvincing Star Wars, some others are just crap).

    ReplyDelete
  12. other than the fact that I've read the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, all the rest apply

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read THHGTTG but I DID own it for a period of time, which must count for partial credit. I have, however, read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and watched Blade Runner, complete with an analytical discussion about the content of both. I don't listen to podcasts, but I watch my tv shows online when I miss them. I don't like the newest three Star Wars movies (they absolutely suck, and I only use that term when attempting to underline my disgust). I am not an online gamer, but I love the old Dark Forces game (still play it), and I easily become (temporarily) addicted to computer puzzle games. I have never owned nintendo or any other gaming console. I do, however, love all the Star Trek series, with the exception of Enterprise. I don't know how geeky that makes me, but most of my friends are well-adjusted geeks. It is telling, however, that my husband is not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm...

    I'm guessing the latest anonymous poster is Katie.

    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the bit about Dark Forces that caused Dave to ask you to marry him.

    Do you have a cool super hero name to hide your identity?

    -The Blue Fox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, but in Katie's words, "I don't know what half that crap is, but I would never tell other people that my husband wasn't a well adjusted geek."

    I think the mystery poster is Cari, and she's saying her husband is not a geek, although well-adjusted.

    And BTW marriage is awesome in every way! Katie is so great that even when she says "Dork What?" I still love her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why would anyone want to be a well-adjusted geek?

    Sounds a bit overrated and boring.

    -

    Did I tell you that when I got home from the wedding we found out that we're expecting #3?

    Cool, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dave's right, and he interpreted my ambiguous English usage correctly. My husband is totally NOT a geek, though well-adjusted. And I forgot my blogger user/pwd and am too lazy to a) get new ones or b) figure out the old ones.

    I'm glad you're liking the married life, Dave! And congrats, bluefox, on #3! I am sure Sam and I will one day expect #3, but considering the fact that I am due with #2 any second, I can't possibly think of being pregnant again any time soon without going utterly insane.

    I will offer my labor up for anyone who prays me into it--promise!

    -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, Blue Fox and Mrs. Blue Fox!

    I'll be praying for you, Cari. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

    This is for all you young married geeks.

    AND... I haven't read the books but I recorded the entire HHGTTG series off the radio years ago; I listen to podcasts occasionally, especially the series on SQPN on Harry Potter; Vista's OK with me (except when it tries to be too helpful); I have solved Rubik's Cube many times (admittedly, with help); I like the Star Wars movies (Ep. 4 is the best one); and I have read LOTS of science fiction: most of Asimov's science fiction, including his original Foundation trilogy; Larry Niven, including Ringworld; Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and 2001; Poul Anderson; Robert A. Heinlein; and many others. In fact Grandpa B. and I originally got interested in each other at work (where we were both computer programmers) because of our mutual love of science fiction and JRR Tolkien. So Joe and Dave (and admit it, you too, Mrs. Pickles!), that's where you got your geek genes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rats! I was perfectly happy hiding in my geek closet, but you outed me, Mom! I still feel like the black sheep of the family -- I've resisted every technological advantage with tooth and claw. I didn't get email until a couple years after everyone else had one (remember rocketmail?), it took me forever to learn how to use a web browser, I resisted Mr. Pickles getting a home PC for us, we only just recently got a cell phone, and I finally reluctantly accepted the possibility that a laptop might be convenient. Of course, once I gave in to each of these things, I can't imagine how I ever lived without them! The same will probably be true once we break down and get an iPod in a few years, probably when Miriam's a teenager and wants one. I too have introvert-ish tendencies, including mild phonophobia and a preference for staying home in front of my pretty glowy screen (Vista has so many COLORS!), plus I've enjoyed several video games vicariously through Mr. Pickles, including Final Fantasy VII (I had the opposite experience of tbf -- I thought there was too much battle in between plotlines!). I enjoy all the Star Wars movies, but tend to laugh at the new ones in an MST3K-way (the fireside scene in II reminded me of some more than usually sentimental Italian love poetry). I've never read the Hitchhiker's Guide, but plan to someday. I enjoyed Timothy Zahn a lot, and have read some Asimov and Anderson. I mostly enjoy them for the story and gloss over the sciencey parts (the Courtship of Princess Leia, however, was exceptionally bad. so why haven't I burned it yet?). I enjoy many of the comics listed in the sidebar, especially XKCD and OOTS, even though I don't get half the references.
    I think my problem with not being a full geek -- I admit the gene potential is there, just underdeveloped -- is that it requires more techie knowledge than I have time or brain power to cultivate. I think if I were still single and had more time on my hands (and this wonderful laptop from which I'm typing) I'd be more of a geek (not to mention terribly depressed -- I was really made for family life). I'm too grounded in real life right now to be involved in artificial reality much. :) I still find it ironic that I became the go-to gal for both my bosses whenever they had computer problems. I didn't know squat about computers -- I remember asking Dave a question which I've forgotten, but which he answered very creatively (it involved a room with a calculator, a blackboard, and sidewalk chalk, and a person named Herkimer -- any of this ring a bell, Dave?) -- but at least I knew more than my bosses -- e.g. how to attach a document to an email (see that paper clip? that means ATTACH! just like real life!). The world of computers really is its own universe, and I'm too busy reading L.M. Montgomery and mom blogs to spend any time on anything else. I'm a fairly obsessive Harry Potter fangirl (omg they're making TWO movies out of the last book? Squee! *dies*), so I guess that counts for something...
    I'm hoping my geek potential will come in handy when I have a teenage male in the house and have to up my coolness factor to earn his respect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. heh heh, wow, that comment was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be... (durned itty-bitty comment window...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats to Jeff and Liz! And Cari, I hope everything goes well. I'm glad Thomas is getting a sibling! I sincerely hope this pregnancy hasn't been as miserable for you as the last. I admire your courage!

    I WISH I could remember what I was explaining to Mrs. Pickles. It sounds like comparing multiple ways of accomplishing a task with varying levels of sophistication. Oh, and you have firmly cemented your geekdom by using the phrase "squee! *dies*".

    ReplyDelete