Friday, January 16, 2009

So I finally bit the bullet, took the advice of Mom and Dad, and enrolled in a UCI Extension course: Intermediate Novel Writing. (Now that I've already written one, I'll learn how to do it right.) I may from time to time post the homework, when it doesn't have extreme spoilers, and if there are any who are interested.

Part of our homework assignment for the first work week is "write an opening paragraph for a novel incorporating a dramatic "hook". (Maximum 100 words)

In the interest of laziness, I don't plan to actually write anything new for this, but instead will just recycle stuff I've already written. And in the interest of extreme laziness, I don't even plan on choosing the pre-written material myself. Instead, I'll just put it up to a vote for my flock of loyal fan (hi, Mom!).

So, which of the following opening paragraphs do you think is best written and has the best dramatic hook. In essence, which one of these paragraphs most makes you want to know what the next paragraph says?:
  1. “Hold course. Steady as she goes,” the first mate barked. The captain kept a close watch through the viewport of his fluyt. This was going to be his least favorite part of the cargo run. To avoid attention, they were staying off the main shipping lanes and in this leg of their journey they were traveling through an uninhabited stretch of the asteroid belt.

  2. Captain Jack Flint floated through the docking hatch of his corvette Redemptrix, and into the spacious cargo hold of the fluyt. After that debacle of a boarding attempt, he was amazed that he and his crew had made it inside. The attack and disable operation had gone flawlessly; just about the best he'd ever seen. But of course, the whole job couldn't go that smoothly. No, that would have been too easy.

  3. "Miss Burke, take us up." As if eager for the Captain's command, Regina gently yet firmly eased the throttle forward. The Redemptrix gracefully lifted out of bay three-two-seven of Arcas spaceport and began her skyward ascent. The hot helium gas streaming from the four thrust nozzles left a yellow trail keelward and behind the ship.

  4. The Marine on duty lazily flipped the coin and watched as it bounced off the ceiling of the guard shack and gently floated back down, pulled by the weak Rhean gravity. He caught it in one hand and slapped it onto the sleeve of his extra-vehicular suit. He looked down at the engraved image of President Ronald Reagan staring back up at him. That was the tenth heads in a row, and brought the total to three hundred fourteen heads and two hundred seventy-one tails. It was a slow day.

  5. Ensign Thomas Beckett had practically been raised on Star Trek. As a kid, he would religiously watch the weekly adventures of Captain James T. Kirk and his crew, making sure to catch them as soon as they were broadcast. Later on, he followed Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his crew in their battles for the good of the Federation. By the time Voyager aired, he did not have much time to watch it—but did so whenever he could—because he was attending Star Fleet Academy.
(In case you hadn't caught it, that last one isn't from SPM3DoF: The Novel, but from a short story.)

9 comments:

  1. I vote for number 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote #2. It felt tense. #4 had me yawning (then again, it is 1:14am).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read #1 first, so therefore, I liked it.

    After rereading them,#4 does the best at giving me the "ok, what's next", or "ok, why?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, they are all good, and we have been spoiled by knowing the story. However, I would rank the sentences 2, 3, 4, 5, 1. I kind of pay attention to the first sentence, and the beginning of the second to be drawn in (short attention span...)
    - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I changed my mind. I think I like 4 best. Tell us what happens to the Marine (or ask Tom Adams).
    - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. ditto -- #4. #2 was great within the context of the novel, but doesn't have quite enough of a hook for an opening paragraph.
    I'm also curious about the short story -- what happens to the ensign at Star Fleet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, why can't you have something explode inexplicably in the first paragraph? That would be a hook. I haven't read your story, but it is on my list of things to do. -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cari has a good point, although I think you should use it in paragraph 4, by ending it with "And then he exploded."

    Seriously, #4 (inexplicably, without explosions) piques my curiosity the most.

    ReplyDelete