Browser Fight
Time for another holy flame war. For some reason I now have five web browsers installed. Naturally, I decided to run them all at the same time. How about a standards-compliance matchup? First up, the Acid2 Test:
.png)
Surprisingly, Firefox is the only one that failed. Next, the newer Acid3 test (I need another monitor):

Only Opera reported a perfect 100/100 and matched the reference rendering. Chrome has a graphical artifact, although it reports no errors. Oddly, Firefox and SeaMonkey report different scores although they use the same rendering engine. Microsoft haters will love the FAIL on IE. Lastly, a memory usage comparison:

Don't ask me why my mouse driver takes 20MB of memory. Chrome and IE each run two processes even when only displaying one page, so the browser with the lowest total memory footprint is Opera. I only just installed it last week, so I may actually try it out now to see how well it works.
I switched to Chrome because (other than the fact that it was Google) I can open the browser, navigate to my home page, and open Google reader in less time than it takes Firefox to start up. I just wish they'd add RSS feed support.
ReplyDeleteI don't use Opera because the first time I tried it (ages and ages ago, when it was still pretty new), it displayed an advertisement on the browser. I still haven't forgiven them.
Well, you used to have to pay for Opera, which was mostly why I never checked it out earlier. According to Wikipedia, it was free with banner ads from 2000-2005, and since then has been ad-free. The first release was 1996, apparently, so it goes back a ways. I know that people who use it regularly think it's great, and it was the first of the current set of major web browsers to use tabs.
ReplyDeleteI have Opera and use it when a site doesn't work in IE. It's OK, but doesn't do stuff I want to do, like cut and paste part of a page (at least the last time I tried it).
ReplyDelete- Dad