Cpl Adams Deploys to Iraq
Wonders if he left the iron on
Cpl Adams, Supreme Allied Commander for 3rd Squad, 3rd Platoon, Kilo Co 3/25, deployed to Iraq in March after months of urban and field training. A critical component in the war on terrorism, Cpl Adams is prepared for every possible scenario. Except he can’t remember if he left the iron on back in Florida.
Cpl Adams is part of a detachment tasked with seeking out possible insurgents in built up areas surrounding the northern city of Mosul, and he has made frequent contact with insurgents. Yesterday, Cpl Adams led a house to house search which resulted in sporadic gunfire leaving one insurgent dead and five taken into custody. “It’s all part of trying to gain intelligence in these regions” Adams told us. “That way we try to reduce the number of attacks on the locals and possibly gain that one critical piece of intelligence that might let us know if I let my iron on or not.”
Many Marines like Adams have been unable to contact family back home to let them know how they are doing. Adams himself has only once spoken with his wife since February. “She sounded good. She told me her family was doing well. But when I tried to ask her about the iron, the connection started getting all messed up. Sounded like ‘ooo …on’t …oose… rons ..om.’ I wish I knew because it makes it really hard to concentrate since I can’t think of anything else.”
Adams admits that in a fire-fight earlier that day he hesitated to give a command. Taking heavy fire from a bombed out school house to their right, Adams tried to take his squad around the block to a more advantageous position. Before crossing an open street, Adams hesitated to give an order to throw smoke grenades to obscure and confuse the enemy. “I couldn’t remember if my iron was on or off. It was driving me nuts.” That moment of hesitation cost Lcpl Moore dearly as he was shot in buttocks during the pause in the command. “I don’t blame Adams. We are all concerned about his iron. Besides Doc’ll have me patched up in no time and I’ll get back into the fight.”
No comments:
Post a Comment