Sunday, August 28, 2005


Idiot(s) of the Day/Week/Month
AKA More Best Parking Jobs Ever

Now, I've known some crazy female drivers (not naming names here... *cough*Cari*cough*), but NONE quite this bad. My favorite is the one with the boat. I mean, just imagine trying to get out of the car. Also imagine trying not to laugh while watching the person get out. This one was linked from JengaJam.

Here's one I saw on BBSpot a while back and am only just now getting around to ridiculing. It's a Gallery Of Bad Designs, the only problem is it's mostly a gallery of stupid people. I know, I shouldn't be so quick to judge, but consider this example:
From the site: "When I get gas for my car, I have to make an effort to read this gas pump display carefully or I confuse the dollar cost of the gas purchased with the amount of gas purchased. I need to know the dollar cost, not the number of gallons. It doesn't look like it would be confusing, but it is. The dollar cost should be more obvious. A person shouldn't have to make an effort to read a display like this." Now, I don't know about you, but the GIANT DOLLAR SIGN would have tipped me off. Here's another good one:
"They pulled the handles that opened the doors and went down the walkway. Upon reaching the other end they again pulled the handles, but the doors wouldn't budge. Assuming the doors were locked, they returned to the doors they originally opened to enter the walkway. But when they tried to pull open these doors, they wouldn't open either. They were trapped in the walkway between the two buildings!" It goes on to describe how they waved to the people inside and tried to get them to open the doors. They were trapped for several minutes until they finally pushed the doors open. Again, maybe it's just me, but whenever I run into a door like this, if opening it one way doesn't work, I immediately try opening it the other way insteading of assuming it's locked. If you read carefully, you'll notice that when they tried to go back out the way they came in, they didn't even try opening the doors the same way they had before. Gary Larson's famous "School for the Gifted" comic comes to mind.

To be fair, the point about the door's design is valid. Likewise for most of the items on the site. But a few of the complaints seem like people just couldn't figure out something really simple. Maybe it's my math genes (thanks Mom and Dad!) that lead me to consider all possible configurations before coming to a conclusion, but if you ever have the desire to feel mentally superior to strangers, visit this site.

I know, I shouldn't pretend to be so smart. After all, it took me three days to figure out Petals Around the Rose. Oops, sorry Joe.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a crazy driver! I just like to go fast...Really Fast. And I always have to catch up to the cars in front of me...And old people are more dangerous. I mean, who goes 65 in a 60? Those old farts should be run off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having gone through that Bad Design website, I can officially say those people are idiots. The vast majority of the problems come from the fact that people are just in too much of a hurry to read the directions. Like the guy who took half an hour trying to figure out how to open the gas tank. Or the person who sent his phone back to the manufacturer because he couldn't turn it on. The advice I give to people like that is "take out the user manual, put it on your chair, stand on it so you can see above your cubicle, and shout 'does anyone know how to read a manual?'"

    As we say in my profession, PEBKAC (or RTFM).

    ReplyDelete