Thursday, August 11, 2005

Loud, Shrill Shriek Disrupts Southland.
Area woman causes traffic accidents, work stoppages, heart failures with ear-piercing noise.

El Segundo, CA - At precisely 1:04 pm PDT today, a loud, high-pitched squeal was heard by residents of Southern California. The noise, which could be heard as far away as Victorville and Santa Barbara, is being blamed for numerous disruptions, including traffic accidents, work stoppages, and 3 deaths. Additionally, initial damage estimates for cracked and shattered windows range between $900,000 and $3 million.

Several southland freeways experienced traffic congestion caused by accidents, as motorists slammed on their brakes when they heard the cry. Said one commuter from West Covina, "I heard this shrill screech and thought it might be my brakes failing. I slowed down to pull off the freeway, and was hit by the person behind me, who thought the noise was coming from his radio and was adjusting the volume."

Additionally, some hospitals are reporting a spike in the number of heart attacks treated. At least three people have died, including a 76-year-old man who grew up in London during the Blitz and thought the shriek was an air-raid siren. Witnesses reported that he started yelling that the Krauts were attacking, before keeling over. He was pronounced dead by paramedics on the scene.

Initial investigations have traced the screech to Anne Marie Belland, an Exectuve Assistant at the Raytheon facility in El Segundo. According to witnesses, a deafening screech was heard from her cubicle shortly before she emerged, screaming "I got the job! I got the job! Blizzard wants me!" She then ran out of the building and has not been seen since. Police have been dispatched to locate her, although no formal charges have been brought against her. Said ESPD Police Chief Jim Bravura, "we do not know Mrs. Belland's current whereabouts, but believe she may be heading to Big Bear, or some other colder climate, in search of this 'Blizzard' that she seems to believe has called to her. We are working closely with psychiatrists to try and guess what her next move will be."

The police chief also stated that Mrs. Belland would most likely not face criminal charges, since according to all witnesses she fled in a state of total mental hysteria and was not rational.

12 comments:

  1. RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!August 11, 2005 at 1:48 PM

    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, have mercy on us!

    ~TBB

    ReplyDelete
  3. roflmao ....that is terribly funny!!

    and congrats to the Blizzard searching woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! A ghost Jedi that's living in the computer systems of a derelict Imperial Battlemoon programmed to destroy a Jedi sanctuary has posted on my blog!

    I guess when you've shed your corporeal form and your mind is trapped in a computer system for decades, waiting for Luke Skywalker to come by so you can have mind-sex with him, you gotta keep yourself occupied somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and if you understood that previous comment, you are a SEVERE NERD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RlrlrlRLRLLRLGRLGRLGlglglglgl!August 12, 2005 at 1:23 PM

    LOL! Callista... I think you've been found out by the creative minds that lurk these shadows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Rie! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, what exactly is "Blizzard"? I assume that it is a gaming company, given that everytime I try to click on a link to the company I get the big ol' "SITE BLOCKED" screen.

    Does this job have anything to do with the the $.05 per hour job playing video games that Joe posted about a few weeks back?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Severe Nerd (aka Mrs. Pickles)August 23, 2005 at 2:34 PM

    Hey, I own that book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. uber nerd (Bathroom Correspondent Tom Adams)August 24, 2005 at 1:24 PM

    Uh.... I may be a nerd for knowing what you said about Callista, but I'm the only nerd you know who can fire a M249 Squad Automatic Weapon... and not get arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Pickles, I must say I am EXTREMELY disappointed in you that you don't know who Blizzard Entertainment is. And I used to think you were cool.

    Anyways, Blizzard Entertainment is the award-winning developer of the Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo franchises of video games. They are currently sucking out my soul with the popular World of Warcraft MMORPG, which has recently hit 3.5 million subscribers, making it the most successful MMO in history. (3.5m x $15/month subscription fee = $52.5m/month income for Blizzard. Ka-ching!)

    Rie will be working for the founder and president of the company, Mike Morhaime! That makes me like, 2 degrees away from a demi-god. It also gives me a proverbial foot in the proverbial door of the video game industry, and thus one step closer to my evil insidious plan for WORLD DOMINATION.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aha! That would explain my ignorance of Blizzard. I've got other things to do aside from playing video games (wife, children, grad school). Seeing that I'm the only game player in the house, it isn't something I can do with any frequency. Maybe I'll return to them when Miriam is about 6 or 7. Then I'll tear her up on the gridiron in Madden 2010!!!

    I am familiar with the games you mentioned. I'm just unfamiliar with the company name. I figured that they had something to do with WOW.

    ReplyDelete