I Laughed So Hard At This, Milk Came Out My Nose.
And I hadn't even been drinking any
FOX 9 - Investigators: Portable Pr0n
Key quote:
"What mom thought was just a game is actually a very sophisticated piece of electronics that a clever kid can use to capture pornographic images out of thin air. In the school's library, Jeff was eager to show his friends his new Sony Play Station Portable, or PSP. On a dare, Jeff showed his pals how the PSP could magically display images of naked women."
That's right! A PSP can "magically" create pornographic images "out of thin air"! It does this with a combination of voodoo, black magic, and non-dairy powdered creamer.
Before I continue, I would like to point out one thing: A PSP is not a game. A game is a piece of software. A PSP is a piece of hardware which allows one to play games.
Now that that's out of the way, I can get down to the beef. While certainly one can make the case that, as consoles - portable and otherwise - become closer and closer to PCs, particularly now that they have internet access, Sony and the other console makers need to make parents aware that consoles should be treated no differently than a computer as far as usage and parental monitoring. That being said, it seems that there are a couple larger issues than is Sony evil for making a device that kids can use to download porn:
1) Why did the kid's parents let him take a PSP to school? I seem to recall when I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to take any toys to school, except for show and tell. School is a place of learning, not of fun. Anything that might be used for fun should not be allowed.
2) Why in the heck does a school library have an unfiltered, unsecured wireless internet access point? This essentially means that anyone with any sort of wi-fi enabled device can surf for whatever they want while in range of the network. They might as well have TVs with unrestricted access to all the adult cable TV channels in the library.
Wow, penny arcarde was incredibly approriate considering your post. I'd never visited it till last night when I was bored and was just clicking random links on the blog.
ReplyDeleteActually, Penny Arcade is where I caught the link to that article. If you go to the news section, they talk about their joke in a little more depth.
ReplyDelete