Ok, I should probably explain before people start with the odd looks and angry letters.
Have you seen those commercials with the guy (or girl) who looks at the camera and says, very seriously although still in a somewhat upbeat manner, "I have genital herpes"? My typical reaction to that commercial whenever it comes on is "BWA-HAHAHA! Sucks to be you, loser!" I mean, that commercial just never gets old. If they had a channel that played that commercial 24 hours a day, I'd be in stitches.
Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit insensitive, but I have a really, really hard time sympathizing with those that have, by "virtue" of their lifestyle choice, inflicted themselves with a disease. Also contributing is the fact that I know I am utterly and completely, 100% safe from such a disease. The fear that I might contract said disease rates somewhere between the fear that I might suddenly find out I've actually been a woman my entire life and my fear of being attacked, "conquered", if you will, by giant space ants. In other words, I don't lose sleep over it.
But then the commercial just gets better. Inevitably, the person mentions how by taking this medication, they're "doing their part to stop the spread of genital herpes." I don't know but maybe if they seriously wanted to do their part they should stop having sex with multiple random strangers. Or better yet, stop having sex altogether. I mean, isn't that like saying you're doing your part to stop drunk driving deaths by only driving cars with 5-star crash test ratings when you're smashed beyond all reason?
But then it gets even better. Next is the commercial with the couple. The guy says, again in his serious-but-still-upbeat tone "I have genital herpes", but then, the camera pans to the girl, who we can only assume is a slut because she's sleeping with a guy with herpes, and she says "and I don't". "Honey," I said to The Murloc after seeing this commercial, "would you still have sex with me if I had herpes?" "Hell, no," came the decisive reply. "Good, because I neither would I with you if you did, but I didn't want to sound insensitive." So here's this couple who, again, is "doing their part" to stop the spread of herpes by engaging in actions that, as the commercial itself admits, can spread herpes. And I do my part to lower traffic accidents by not speeding when I drive down the wrong side of the freeway during rush hour.
BTW, that was my first reaction when I saw that ad with the couple. What kind of man would take any chance of passing on an incurable disease to the woman he loves?
Of course, love probably doesn't enter into it. Just lust.
Ok, I should probably explain before people start with the odd looks and angry letters.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen those commercials with the guy (or girl) who looks at the camera and says, very seriously although still in a somewhat upbeat manner, "I have genital herpes"? My typical reaction to that commercial whenever it comes on is "BWA-HAHAHA! Sucks to be you, loser!" I mean, that commercial just never gets old. If they had a channel that played that commercial 24 hours a day, I'd be in stitches.
Ok, so maybe I'm being a bit insensitive, but I have a really, really hard time sympathizing with those that have, by "virtue" of their lifestyle choice, inflicted themselves with a disease. Also contributing is the fact that I know I am utterly and completely, 100% safe from such a disease. The fear that I might contract said disease rates somewhere between the fear that I might suddenly find out I've actually been a woman my entire life and my fear of being attacked, "conquered", if you will, by giant space ants. In other words, I don't lose sleep over it.
But then the commercial just gets better. Inevitably, the person mentions how by taking this medication, they're "doing their part to stop the spread of genital herpes." I don't know but maybe if they seriously wanted to do their part they should stop having sex with multiple random strangers. Or better yet, stop having sex altogether. I mean, isn't that like saying you're doing your part to stop drunk driving deaths by only driving cars with 5-star crash test ratings when you're smashed beyond all reason?
But then it gets even better. Next is the commercial with the couple. The guy says, again in his serious-but-still-upbeat tone "I have genital herpes", but then, the camera pans to the girl, who we can only assume is a slut because she's sleeping with a guy with herpes, and she says "and I don't". "Honey," I said to The Murloc after seeing this commercial, "would you still have sex with me if I had herpes?" "Hell, no," came the decisive reply. "Good, because I neither would I with you if you did, but I didn't want to sound insensitive." So here's this couple who, again, is "doing their part" to stop the spread of herpes by engaging in actions that, as the commercial itself admits, can spread herpes. And I do my part to lower traffic accidents by not speeding when I drive down the wrong side of the freeway during rush hour.
But maybe I am being naïve. I mean, there is the off chance that I could get herpes from a toilet seat.
I notice that social situations now rank below velociraptor attack in your fear chart. You're making progress!
ReplyDeleteBTW, that was my first reaction when I saw that ad with the couple. What kind of man would take any chance of passing on an incurable disease to the woman he loves?
ReplyDeleteOf course, love probably doesn't enter into it. Just lust.