Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Wikipedia Game.

Grats to The Blue Fox, winner of last week's contest. Marshmallows will be sent in no more than 1 zillion years.

Now, certain exploits to the game have been brought to my attention, so I'll have to add some rules to make it harder. Be sure to read the rules carefully each week, as I'll change them specifically for each contest.

Even with the stricter rules, sure, you could still find a way to cheat. But where's the fun in that?

This week, you must link from Palos Verdes Peninsula to J. S. Bach. You cannot use articles for years or dates (e.g. 1882) and you must use links contained within the article text. Links in sidebars or bottom bars are not allowed. My magic number is 3 links.

A clarification on redirects: if one article redirects to another, either article is acceptable. So in this contest, both J. S. Bach and Johann Sebastian Bach are acceptable.

Oh, and Bathroom Correspondent Tom Adams is disqualified for life, for ruining the game for everyone else.

6 comments:

  1. Palos Verdes Peninsula
    Spanish Empire
    Germany
    Johann Sebastian Bach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Palos Verdes Peninsula
    Swedenborgianism
    Germany
    Johann Sebastian Bach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine. Well I didn't want to play with you guys anyway.


    Ooooo.... Nice use of redirects, Mom B. You can't get the shortest path algorithm to get paths as short as yours b/c it's not set to jump with redirects (ie Palos Verdes Peninsula -> Palos Verdes and Swedenborgian -> Swedenborgianism). Nice one. The shortest path algorithm could only come up with 4 click solution (3 if you don't count the Palos Verdes Peninsula -> Palos Verdes jump).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started yesterday, but had other important things to do, like Valumtimes day. But I did find:

    Palos Verdes Peninsula
    Roman Catholic Church
    Lutheranism
    Johann Sebastian Bach

    ReplyDelete
  5. In every case, I only used links that were in the articles themselves, starting with Joe's original link to "Palos Verdes Peninsula". So each of my paths had only 4 clicks total, counting the first click on "Palos Verdes Peninsula" in Joe's original post. Thus they are true 3-click solutions.

    I don't think a shorter path is possible, since there aren't enough general links in the original article -- most of them are very limited local references.

    I would be interested if someone could find a shorter one.

    By the way, you don't have to send me marshmallows. Chocolate-covered strawberries for my upcoming birthday would be acceptable. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grats to Mom B., who may or may not receive a box of chocolate-covered strawberries for her birthday.

    My exact path was actually her second suggestion (PV Peninsula -> Swedenboriganism -> Germany -> J.S. Bach). I like that path just because I like the name "Swedenborgianism". He he. That's fun to say.

    ReplyDelete