Saturday, October 24, 2009

Ask Dr. Breen.

Dear Dr. Breen,

The Congregation of the Sacraments and Divine Worship has stated that "No priest, deacon, acolyte, or extraordinary minister of Holy Communion may refuse a communicant Communion on the tongue." This has been reinforced by the Pope and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

My question is this: why has Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish in Bakersfield, CA, seen fit to deny me Communion on the tongue?

-A Concerned Communicant


Dear Concerned,

Thank you for writing, Concerned. Of course your question touches on one of the basic sacramental impulses, with all its associated hopes and fears for the future of the Universal Church on Earth. I also detect some unspoken questions. Does Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish really know what's best for us? What gives them the right to make this kind of decision for the communicant? Will they ever allow us to receive Communion on the tongue again?

Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, radical liturgical changes are in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our sacramental imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our liturgical pre-sets.

I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Doctrine. Doctrine was our mother when we were an infant Church. Doctrine coddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we formed our beliefs and saw our first martyrs roast in a meager fire and started painting icons upon the catacomb walls. But inseparable from Doctrine is its dark twin, Orthodoxy. Doctrine is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Doctrine has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Doctrine would inflict a fatal injury on our Church. Doctrine creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Doctrine tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Doctrine slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Doctrine, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of sacramental urges: The urge to receive Communion on the tongue.

We should thank Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have given a command and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars.

Let me assure you that Communion on the tongue will be allowed on the day that we have mastered ourselves...the day we can prove we no longer need it. And that day of transformation, I have it on good authority, is close at hand.

-Dr. Wallace Breen

6 comments:

  1. Sad. So how do you handle it? Do you just not receive Holy Communion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I received, just in the hand. It was a good thing I was not holding Damien, because then I would not have been able to.

    I'm considering writing the bishop to let him know of the liturgical abuse taking place within his diocese, but I doubt that he cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was holding Damien.

    I went up to receive Holy Communion, and when I made it apparent I was going to receive via the tongue, the priest said "No tongue. Only hand. I don't want to give you the flu, or vice versa."

    I had one hand free. I was so dumb founded I instinctively put my hand out, realizing, too late, that if you're going to receive by hand, you need both. Before I could react, the priest put the Eucharist in my hand.

    Not much else left to do, but eat it as reverently as I could, albeit clumsily as I immediately had to grab for Damien with the free hand (after I'd eaten the Eucharist, of course) as he started to slide to one side.

    Yeah, I'm not going back there again.

    ~ The Resident Murloc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that the parish was starting to prefer giving in the hand, but I never thought they would refuse someone from receiving on the tongue. They'd never refused me before, although I had gotten a strange look just a few weeks ago. The whole flu thing has got them all paranoid, so they've stopped doing the sign of peace and apparently giving communion on the tongue. :\

    I'm sorry Rie and Joe. If I had known, we wouldn't have gone there. I'm going to start going to another parish.

    Yes. I think the bishop should know about what's going on. We can at least hope that some still care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like others are starting to do it as well. :\

    http://kneelingcatholic.blogspot.com/2009/05/corpus-christi-bishop-suspends.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely contact the bishop. I don't think enforcing communion on the hand only reduces the possibility of the spread of germs anyway.

    In case anyone's wondering, the original Dr. Breen speech can be seen in its original context here.

    ReplyDelete